I’ve been involved in video production since 1993 when, during summer breaks from college, I used to assist professional industrial video producers and wedding videographers in southeastern Pennsylvania. I went on to get a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications specializing in audio and video production. (My senior project was a spoof on the popular TV show Cops and, using a few roommates and their friends, I filmed Pizza Cops detailing the ordinary lives of one pizza delivery man and the challenges he faces each night.
After college I moved off to Arizona where I joined up with a Christian film company. Sadly, they weren’t really in the business of making films anymore but I did get some great experience as a graphic artist / web designer / film critic / online content producer. That kept me pretty busy until we made plans for Africa.
These days, I produce short videos that inform people about our team’s work in Mozambique (online, but password protected) and have been experimenting with shooting music videos and documentaries about the Yawo people. I’ve got some great ideas in mind for the future mainly using the local language in Mozambique where I live to create original materials that educate while entertaining.
With the advent of battery or electricity-powered “video shows” even in remote villages, the age of the DVD and bluetooth sharing via cell phone has made films accessible to the masses. Digital content is in demand and here to stay no matter what obscure language you may live amongst.
Yawo of Niassa (2008)
Meponda, Mozambique (2008)
Music Video from Mozambican artist Gel_Show (2010)
Here’s a list of some of my video work:
- The Niassa Team Update 2012 (password-protected, 2012, 6 min.)
- Kusagula Umi (village drama, 1 hour)
- Janet in Mozambique (password-protected, 2011, 4 min.)
- The Niassa Team Update 2010 (password-protected, 3 min.)
- Gel_Show e Ocasimiro “Vota FRELIMO” (music video, 2009, 4 min.)
- Uncle Carl’s Cafezinho Concoctions (password-protected, 3 min.)
- PhD Graduation Ceremony for Dr. Ian Dicks (2009, 7 min.)
- The Yawo of Niassa (2008, 3 min.)
- Meponda, Mozambique (musical montage, 2008, 3 min.)
- Rural Library Dedication, Chiponde, Malawi (2008, 8 min.)
- “Blessed to be a Blessing” Malawian recruitment video (password-protected, 2008, 13 min.)
- The Niassa Team Introduction 2008 (password-protected, 4 min.)
- The Cowleys in Malawi (2006, 1 min.)
- Yao People Profile (2005, 3 min.)
- Gospel Planting (2005, 6 min.)
- Does God Speak Chiyao? (2005, 4 min.)
- M’gunda wa Mbeju | Yao Instructional Language & Culture Video (Imanga, Mongu ni Sona, Yinangwa Mbwanda Ntesa ni Mbatata) (2004)
- Lucia’s Wedding (2004, 8 min.)
- The Namwera 10K Race (2004, 3 min.)
- Team Talent Night (2003, 10 min.)
- Team Karaoke Night (2003, 13 min.)
- The Dollars’ First Term (2003, 5 min.)
- The Great Alaskan Dinosaur Adventure (1995, 20+ min.)
- Production assistant, event videographer, lighting and sound assistant. American Classic Studios, Philadelphia, PA. (1994)
- misc. second-camera footage compilation for wedding and industrial videos (1992-1994)